12/08 $75 x 45 SNG challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    $10,000
    Biggest Online $ Win
    $9,433.13
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win

Thumbs up The Basics:45 SNG

Another must have in our basics collection by Chipless Wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipless Wonder View Post
    Ah, but we try to run things a little different around here. We have a lot of top level players, and most everyone is open, honest and helpful.

Some players aren't going to agree with what I'm about to write here, but please keep in mind that my SNG ROI on Sharkscope has been ~ 50% for seven of the last ten months.

Sharkscope

If you want to be one of the best players in this arena, you'll need to use the same tool that all the better players have. It's very helpful to to know which players are winners and losers as soon as you start the game.

Bankroll management

Follow the bankroll management guidelines. This is critical, because if you're playing good strategy you will bust in the 10th through 7th spots fairly often. And it's not at all uncommon to have a 10 or even 20 game non-cashing streak. But that's OK because winning one or two of these tournaments will make a very nice improvement in your bankroll.

If you aren't able to set or follow bankroll management guidelines, you have zero chance to make it in poker, no matter how good you are, so you can save yourself some time and stop reading right now.

Tilt control

This is much easier said than done, and even the best players struggle with this from time to time. Tilt is difficult to identify, so just set a stop-loss for yourself. For example, if you have a $600 bankroll and are playing $11 45-player SNGs, commit to ending your session if you lose 10% of your bankroll ($60 or five straight games in this example).

Starting Hands

Play only premium hands. Watch your hand statistics and make sure that you're not seeing more than 10% to 15% of the flops. Other than possibly in the first couple of blind levels, there's just no valid reason to play many/any speculative hands at all. I will even go as far as to say that these games can be won without ever playing suited gappers, etc. Quite simply, the stacks aren't often deep enough to give you the implied odds that you need to flop a straight draw, flush draw or two pair.

Usually raise or re-raise with A-A through 10-10 and A-K. Usually raise or call with 9-9 through 2-2. Usually raise with A-Q. Don't call raises with other hands like A-J, A-10, K-Q, K-J, K-10, etc. I realize this is very limiting, but these hands will cost most players a lot of money over time in SNGs.

Set-mining

Always try to see a flop with any pocket pair. You'll flop a set 1/8th of the time, so you want implied odds of at least 10:1 to make set-mining profitable. For example, let's pretend you're in the small blind for 30 chips, and your opponent raises to 180. It'll now cost you 150 chips to make the call. You need > 10:1 implied odds, so this means that you and your opponent must both have at least 1,500 chips back for you to make this call. If not, just fold. If you call and then miss the flop, just check-fold. The stacks simply aren't deep enough for fancy moves most of the time.

If you flop your set, don't worry about a flush, straight or bigger set. There's not enough time or chips to escape in these two hour tournaments. When you flop a monster like a set, your goal needs to be to get all your chips into the middle. This is usually done most effectively by leading into the raiser, instead of check-raising.

Position

Try to play only in position, and nearly always raise when you enter a pot.

Raise amounts

Make your default raise 3x the big blind. If there's a limper in front of you, increase to 4x, and use 5x for two limpers. Once you and/or most of the players yet to act have < 20 big blinds, decrease your raise amount to 2.5 big blinds. Once you and/or most of the players yet to act have < 15 big blinds, just push all-in. Don't be the player who has 12 big blinds, raises to 3 big blinds, then folds to a re-raise. That is generally a bad policy in SNGs.

Obviously you can make some exceptions. For example, if you're holding A-A or K-K and the most aggressive player at the table is seated after you, just raise to 2.5 big blinds and hope he pushes you all in.

Defending your blinds

Don't do it. Just fold unless you have a premium hand. You'll make more money in the long-run by not playing marginal hands out of position against a pre-flop raiser. Think about it. It's like swimming upstream.

Bubble aggression

You'll usually make the most money or earn the most chips in poker when you're doing the opposite of the rest of your table. Since many players tighten up as the final table and money bubble approach, your job is to do the opposite. Two thirds of the players will be gone by the first break. So you'll have almost exactly 15 players left when the break ends. This is when many others will tighten up, so this is when you'll benefit from cranking up your aggressiveness.

Showdowns won

Keep an eye on this statistic. If you aren't winning somewhere between 75% and 100% of your showdowns, then you're probably not folding enough.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but it should certainly be enough to get you ITM (in the money) approximately 15% of the time.

Good luck!

Jifsrt8 is offline Dolphin
    4/09 $5 x 9 SNG challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    80 dollars
    Biggest Online $ Win
    $446.00
    Biggest Live # Win
    366 PLAYERS
    Biggest Online # Win
    $2 REBUY
    Blog Entries
    i read this a long time ago and im glad i did .... has helped but like scott said if you cant control the tilt it would be very difficult to make money ... esp.. in online poker since we are playing so many hands and at a very fast pace .... i noticed that when i play live poker i tend to be more patient and take time to think about what i will do before i do it and it helps alot ... also is best to know what to do when havin cards like aj-a10-kq-kj-j10 these hands imo get you in trouble early in a 45man try to stay away from them ...
    in early position ive started to fold these hands and i noticed a big diffrence in my game .... im just now even realisin that AQ early position is another trouble hand in 45man for the reason being that we sometimes overplay it..

i will also like to say that when their is 18 players left in a 45 man you should have a good idea by now how players are playing make mental notes about them or write it down do something .... dont just play the cards ... play the player. 18 players left imo is the most important time in a 45man you should really focus and have the second table open as well to observe how the players are playing their ... youll be surprise how much that helps if you happen to get moved or you reach the final 9 players ... i know some people like to abuse the bubble but remember if you get caught be good enough to let it go (have to work on this) .... stupid game peace - JIF
    "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."
    http://www.everystudent.com/wires/atheist.html

DevilFish73 is offline Super Moderator

Biggest Live $ Win
    $10,000
    Biggest Online $ Win
    $9,433.13
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Bump for new members and lets add some new info to this already great thread!

dyehard is offline Super Moderator
    6/09 $5 x 45 SNG challenge winner
    9/09 45 SNG team challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    9,300 ISPC
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries
    This was a good refresher even though I am profitaable in these games. Scott, over a year has passed sinceyou created this post. Is there anything that you would add or change to these guidelines?
    Fight my Brute!!!!!
    http://chewbacca-nuts.mybrute.com

Follow me at www.twitter.com/dyehard5

Biggest Scores
    $550 NL ISPC Live Event (2010) - $9,300
    $1,500 NL ISPC Live Event (2009) - $6,000
    $35k DS 6 max - 3rd $4,263
    Midnight Madness - 1st $3,778
    $1,500 NL WSOP #39 - 239th $2832

ChewbaccaNuts - Carbon
    dyehard - Cake
    dyehard - Full Tilt
    DYEHARD - Ultimate Bet
    AveryDye - PokerStars

Goozfraba77 is offline Shrimp

bump.

Quote Originally Posted by dyehard View Post
    Scott, over a year has passed sinceyou created this post. Is there anything that you would add or change to these guidelines?
    PS:I'm currently playing the $3.25 45man let me know if anyone want to discuss about those.
    Last edited by Goozfraba77; 01-25-2011 at 10:54 AM.

pegboy1 is offline Shark

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    3300 or so
    Quote Originally Posted by Goozfraba77 View Post
    bump.

PS:I'm currently playing the $3.25 45man let me know if anyone want to discuss about hose.
    "hose" hang around street corners. Exchange money for acts of sex. Usually, but not always have some sort of drug addiction. Be careful brcause hose can
    sometimes have deseases.

Goozfraba77 is offline Shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
    "hose" hang around street corners. Exchange money for acts of sex. Usually, but not always have some sort of drug addiction. Be careful brcause hose can
    sometimes have deseases.
    Thanks for the clarification, i didn't even know that the word "hose" exists . As you can easily find out, English is not my natural language, but i guess is yours, so can you tell what "deseases" or "brcause" means ?

PS: Don't even bother to tell me... I'm just messing with you

Blog Entries
    Showdowns won

Keep an eye on this statistic. If you aren't winning somewhere between 75&#37; and 100% of your showdowns, then you're probably not folding enough.
    This is impossible. winning 50% to 55% of showdowns seems much more reasonable.
    "It's Friday night and I'm spending it watching Cory grind a $26 7game tournament"

PM for coaching information

Quote Originally Posted by ThrillCory90 View Post
    yup.

though I think in soft 45s you can win up to 60%
    Never Complain. Never Explain.

Chipless Wonder is offline Honorary Member
    1/09 BBP +$200 private game winner
    9/11 online cash game challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillCory90 View Post
    Incorrect. There is an entire thread filled with actual data showing showdown winning percentages for 45-man SNGS won to range from 59% to 100%. If we exclude the outliers (three highest and three lowest numbers), the range becomes 64% to 92%.

Recipe for Winning 45-Player SNGs
    Carbon Poker: ChiplessWonder

My real job: Nuclear thickness gauge sales & service

"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve." - Kid Rock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast