Poker Genius

Thread: Donkey call or good decision?

Kapgun1 is offline Shrimp

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win

Donkey call or good decision?

Played in a live 1/2 cash game for about 4 hours when this hand came up. UTG raises to $7. I had been paying close attention to this player the entire session and immediately put his on AT-AQ, or suited connectors, a better hand would have been a higher bet from him. 3 players call, and I'm on the button with AQ spades. I raise to $20. Original raiser calls, I still put him on AT-AQ, or suited connectors, as I had seen him repop earlier with premium hands. 2 players fold, guy to my right calls. Flop comes 556, no spades. Both players check, I check. Turn comes a 9. UTG bets $25, cutoff calls, I call. River comes an Ace. UTG bets my chip stack, $225. Cutoff folds. Now I put him on A9-AQ, and think if he had a five he would have value bet. I lose to one of those hands, I tie one hand, and I beat 2 hands. I wonder what he thinks I have, and I determine he knows I have an ace, and the only way he thinks he can win the pot is if he over bets. I call.

was that a good decision?
    Last edited by Acesfull1026; 09-07-2010 at 01:02 AM. Reason: revealed villians hand

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries
    A few things that stand out to me:

Blinds 1/2, raise to 7, 3 callers = $31 pot
    You should be raising more here than $20 imo. They only have to call $13 more for a $38 pot and the odds just get better after the first caller. So you are pretty much inviting players to see a flop w a vulnerable hand, although having position is a big plus.

Also, you originally put him on AT-AQ and suited connectors but by the time to river came you broadened it to A9. Try to start with a wider range preflop and narrow it down postflop as you gain more info.

As far as postflop play goes, i think you are better off either cbetting this flop or folding the turn. Its a pretty cheap call on the turn, but you have 6 outs at best if you aren't drawing dead. Hands that crush us that are in his range that you gave, 99 66 55 78 56 A9 and all of these hands could take this line. His hand is pretty polarized when he puts you all in though, but i probably fold this river. We are praying he bet air on the turn and spazzes the river into two players. Maybe i flip a coin and let that decide if i call or fold

Also, hide the results of the hand.

Goldnutz69 is offline Dolphin

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    I pretty much fully agree with Aces here. I think the call on the turn was terrible, and I also think checking the flop was no good either. I'm making it 40 plus to go pre flop in this spot. I have position yes , but I'm looking to get heads up here. The river is an easy fold. Keep making hero calls on the river in games like this, and you'll go broke very quickly.

Biggest Live $ Win
    Blog Entries
    I would also C bet the flop, especially since you are in position, and you are still representing a strong hand. If he just calls, depending on if he has been calling a lot of flops like this with hopes of hitting, then I would fire again on the turn. If he raises on the turn, then I fold.
    Last edited by GamronPBN; 09-07-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Kapgun1 is offline Shrimp

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Thanks for the great feedback. Yeah I agree the preflop raise could have been bigger as I was hoping for one caller instead of 2. Though I don't think UTG calls $28-30 with AJo. My mistake was focusing on the UTG player too much and forgetting about the rest of the table. I normally cbet after the flop about 80% in that spot, this hand was the 20%. I put a lot of stock in knowing his range, his betting pattern, the overbet on the river instead of a value bet, to make my decision. Having read the replies I see now that his line very well looked like 78 or 99, and needs to be a fold on the river.

The table told me it was a good call , and a buddy of mine afterwards said the same. I still wasn't convinced and wanted to post it here. Obviously the results were good when he showed AJ, but the decisions were bad.

Blog Entries
    You should cbet this flop always vs nonaggro opponents.
    "It's Friday night and I'm spending it watching Cory grind a $26 7game tournament"

PM for coaching information