Poker Genius

Thread: Cash Game hand

Kapgun1 is offline Shrimp

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win

Cash Game hand

I'm in a 6 handed 1/2 NL Hold'em Cash game. We've been playing a little more than an hour, the guy to my left has just recently taken a couple of bad beats from another player, and seems a little tilty. He is short stacked at around $87, and he is a tight player. I'm on the button and all players limp, it's a community pot, I have Q5o. Flop comes AQQ rainbow. SB leads out with an $11 bet, everyone folds in front of me and I call. Turn card is a 2. SB checks, I bet $16, SB comes over the top for $35 more. SB has $23 behind. I feel just calling is out of the question. It's all-in or fold, what range do you put him on, and what's your decision?
    Last edited by Kapgun1; 03-03-2010 at 12:08 AM.

LAPPIN is offline Shark
    4/09 ISOP #1 POTS winner
    6/09 $75 x 45 SNG challenge winner
    11/09 $52 heads up SNG challenge winner
    12/09 $30 x 9 SNG challenge winner
    6/10 $75 x 45 SNG challenge winner
    11/10 ISOP #4 POTS winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    $9K+ (1st in $25K Guarantee)
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    2000+
    Blog Entries
    calling isn't out of the question because you have position and at least you are giving a bluff an opportunity to put the rest of his chips in on the river. Obviously you have a pretty crappy Queen but IMO you have to pay him off if he is bigger than you. Also, a lot of the hands that beat you could get counterfeited by the river so you could get a chop if you are behind.

Biggest Live $ Win
    Blog Entries
    What hands have you beat? AA, AQ, 22, KQ-Q6, Q2. Its a $96 pot (~26% pot odds for the call now, and about 27% if you believe you will have to commit the whole $58) and the maximum you can commit in addition to that is $23. Would you consider it normal for him to limp here with AA, AK, AQ etc? Do you think he would lead out with a pot sized bet if he had a queen? If he has a weak Queen, a higher card could come up and counterfeit him.

So at this point, if you think you have him beat 30% of the time you have to call or commit it all. Even if you just call, I'd think you would have to call the $23 on the river since its only like 10% pot odds.
    Last edited by GamronPBN; 03-03-2010 at 02:33 AM.

Biggest Online $ Win
    $4100.00 (party poker)
    Biggest Online # Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapgun1 View Post
    I'm in a 6 handed 1/2 NL Hold'em Cash game. We've been playing a little more than an hour, the guy to my left has just recently taken a couple of bad beats from another player, and seems a little tilty. He is short stacked at around $87, and he is a tight player. I'm on the button and all players limp, it's a community pot, I have Q5o. Flop comes AQQ rainbow. SB leads out with an $11 bet, everyone folds in front of me and I call. Turn card is a 2. SB checks, I bet $16, SB comes over the top for $35 more. SB has $23 behind. I feel just calling is out of the question. It's all-in or fold, what range do you put him on, and what's your decision?
    I guess I don't have too much to add about the decision at hand, but I'll pose two different questions:

1) Why limp Q5 offsuit? Your chances of getting a useful flop are minuscule, and even when you did, you appear to be beaten.

2) I am not sure I see any value in the bet on the turn.

This player led out into the entire table with a non intimidating bet. I think you are winning this pot close to zero percent of the time. If you check behind on the turn I think you get a cheap showdown.

The $16 bet on the turn certainly isn't getting a batter hand to fold, so it only has value if it gets a weaker hand to call. I don't really see that happening.

EDIT: I just realized it was a pot sized bet on the flop and that this is 6 handed not full ring. Nevertheless, in a 6 way limped pot, is this player really bad enough to get his chips in here without a queen or better?
    Last edited by FrankJones; 03-03-2010 at 07:06 AM.

wreaks is offline Shark

Biggest Live $ Win
    I'm
    Biggest Online $ Win
    A
    Biggest Live # Win
    Cash
    Biggest Online # Win
    Player
    Blog Entries
    This is a joke post right?

Folding this hand ever is absurd, especially when the villain has so little behind. If he has Q2, 22 or a better Q, grats to him. If it's just a better Q or Q2, you have outs to chop/win on the river. The only reason to only call the turn and not shove is to induce him to bet on the river, which you should be snap calling.

Any question of getting the money in here against a short stacked villain who is probably tilting a little is being results-oriented (if you ended up losing). The only thing you should be thinking with this flop, in this situation, is "how do I get all my money in?"

Any two cards...