Thread: Live Game - Squeeze vs. a Loose-aggressive opponent

Biggest Live $ Win
    £300
    Biggest Online $ Win
    $221.50
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win

Live Game - Squeeze vs. a Loose-aggressive opponent

Live tourney, part of Harrogate Poker League; blinds are 300/600 avg stack 27k. This is a 25 seater £5 freezeout, for the most part, field consists of inexperienced players. I got 22k in chips and I am in the BB, 5 limpers, SB completes, I got 45o, decide to squeeze, I raise to 5k, everyone folds to the SB who calls. He's a loose aggressive player capable of all kinds of moves. He got caught to bluff-raise a pair of deuces a few hands ago, on a 29j board. I've got history with this player and I wouldn't give him credit at all when he calls a squeeze bet, re-raises pf etc. Flop comes J52 rainbow, he ships less than 17k. What do you do here with middle pair?
    “…I figured if I ever went broke at poker, it wouldn’t be because my best wasn’t good enough to keep me afloat. It would be because my worst was bad enough to sink me…”

Tommy Angelo

dyehard is offline Super Moderator
    6/09 $5 x 45 SNG challenge winner
    9/09 45 SNG team challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    9,300 ISPC
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries
    Easy fold and I have never heard of squeezing with 6 people. Pretty awful attempt considering of the 6 limpers, you will only have position on one of them.
    Fight my Brute!!!!!
    http://chewbacca-nuts.mybrute.com

Follow me at www.twitter.com/dyehard5

Biggest Scores
    $550 NL ISPC Live Event (2010) - $9,300
    $1,500 NL ISPC Live Event (2009) - $6,000
    $35k DS 6 max - 3rd $4,263
    Midnight Madness - 1st $3,778
    $1,500 NL WSOP #39 - 239th $2832

ChewbaccaNuts - Carbon
    dyehard - Cake
    dyehard - Full Tilt
    DYEHARD - Ultimate Bet
    AveryDye - PokerStars

Biggest Live $ Win
    £300
    Biggest Online $ Win
    $221.50
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Quote Originally Posted by dyehard View Post
    Easy fold and I have never heard of squeezing with 6 people. Pretty awful attempt considering of the 6 limpers, you will only have position on one of them.
    As I said, the field consists of inexperienced players who limp with all kind of junk and they will rarely call a big raise with it... Ok, whats your play if you have QQ in this spot, are you going to fold with 6 limpers?
    “…I figured if I ever went broke at poker, it wouldn’t be because my best wasn’t good enough to keep me afloat. It would be because my worst was bad enough to sink me…”

Tommy Angelo

dyehard is offline Super Moderator
    6/09 $5 x 45 SNG challenge winner
    9/09 45 SNG team challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    9,300 ISPC
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDion View Post
    As I said, the field consists of inexperienced players who limp with all kind of junk and they will rarely call a big raise with it... Ok, whats your play if you have QQ in this spot, are you going to fold with 6 limpers?
    Raising with QQ is not a squeeze. It's betting for value and reducing the field with the best hand. And why in the world wouldn't you want to see a flop for free vs. many inexperienced players with a hand like 45? If you flop big you are going to take 1 or more players to value town.
    Fight my Brute!!!!!
    http://chewbacca-nuts.mybrute.com

Follow me at www.twitter.com/dyehard5

Biggest Scores
    $550 NL ISPC Live Event (2010) - $9,300
    $1,500 NL ISPC Live Event (2009) - $6,000
    $35k DS 6 max - 3rd $4,263
    Midnight Madness - 1st $3,778
    $1,500 NL WSOP #39 - 239th $2832

ChewbaccaNuts - Carbon
    dyehard - Cake
    dyehard - Full Tilt
    DYEHARD - Ultimate Bet
    AveryDye - PokerStars

Biggest Live $ Win
    £300
    Biggest Online $ Win
    $221.50
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Quote Originally Posted by dyehard View Post
    Raising with QQ is not a squeeze. It's betting for value and reducing the field with the best hand. And why in the world wouldn't you want to see a flop for free vs. many inexperienced players with a hand like 45? If you flop big you are going to take 1 or more players to value town.
    I agree with you. I guess I did not know how to do a proper squeeze... Do you only squeeze against 1 or two opponents?
    Last edited by AlphaDion; 05-31-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Tommy Angelo

Biggest Live $ Win
    £300
    Biggest Online $ Win
    $221.50
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    I edited the post. I meant I did NOT know how to squeeze properly. I guess you need 1-2 limpers to make a squueze play work...

Tommy Angelo

foldimo is offline Dolphin

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDion View Post
    I edited the post. I meant I did NOT know how to squeeze properly. I guess you need 1-2 limpers to make a squueze play work...
    i dont think this is necessarily true, to me stacksizes are more important than the number of actual limpers. ie, if 5 people limp 100bb deep, a squeeze is pretty much never going to work + will be ineffective if you are OOP as bruce said. however multiple limpers at like 20-30 bb you can squeeze a little lighter with your ace highs/broadways/pp because people arent usually limping/overlimping hands that have you dominated, plus a lot of money where people just want to see pots with less than premium hands swings the odds more in your favor.

Biggest Live $ Win
    £300
    Biggest Online $ Win
    $221.50
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Quote Originally Posted by foldimo View Post
    i dont think this is necessarily true, to me stacksizes are more important than the number of actual limpers. ie, if 5 people limp 100bb deep, a squeeze is pretty much never going to work + will be ineffective if you are OOP as bruce said. however multiple limpers at like 20-30 bb you can squeeze a little lighter with your ace highs/broadways/pp because people arent usually limping/overlimping hands that have you dominated, plus a lot of money where people just want to see pots with less than premium hands swings the odds more in your favor.
    I've done the same thing before many times with multiple limpers and I only get called by laggy players who dont deserve any credit for a good hand. Although they understand position, squeeze play etc. they can be outplayed post flop as they call you simply because they know you're capable of squeezing and want to play back. In this particular instance the SB had QT and he shipped the flop with overcards, I called and stacked him off with middle pair. I knew that he's aware of my squeezing as we've got history; what do you think of his play, do you call w QT in a similar spot? Do you think if you have a read the right thing is to ship the flop and rep 66-99? I mean I agree with Bruce about the preflop play but as played I think I made a good call otf...

Tommy Angelo