Thread: Vegard Vestvik (Vestvik7) is Under the Gun

Vestvik7 is offline Shark
    2/10 Middleweight MTT challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    live?
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Vegard Vestvik (Vestvik7) is Under the Gun

A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Saturday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer."

The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down: Why not on Saturday? and the voice from in the well shouts back: Because on Saturday, it’s your day in the well.
    Seem like a good time for me to go into the well.

Owe this forum too much to not do this.

Well thought out questions will be met with well thought out responses.
    Stay ahead, or fall behind

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries
    If you don't mind, I'd like to start this thread off with a few questions that aren't as pertinent to poker.

What was your favorite poker moment that you can recall? The Sunday Million? Coming out on top of this prop bet? your first tourney win? What stands out the most to you and why?

I know you have had trouble finding motivation to play, which i believe brought about the prop bet, and I remember your thread about life and poker. After having time to dwell on it, what are you ambitions/goals moving forward from here? If you are planning to put the brakes on for a while, I would be happy to volunteer as a student of yours to represent you at the tables

What made you decide to go with Simba as your avatar? Do you think this has been the key to your success?

What made you get started playing poker in the first place? What would you say was the most vital tool in progressing your game and taking it to the next level? (books, training sites, any coaches, forums, or has it always been natural?)

If you weren't playing poker, what would be your ideal occupation?

Congrats again on the prop bet Vegard, and thanks for The Well. These questions are just to get things started and get some background on ya. Ill notify the WSOP to keep an eye out for you in 2 years

Biggest Live $ Win
    live?
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Blog Entries

Warning, long.

I'll start off the thread with my story.

I am from the west coast of Norway. I have lived in a little town called "Randaberg" with aproximently 11.000 citizen my whole life. My familiy consist of two younger siblings and my parents. Both my parents earn their living as cops.

When I was younger my life basicly consisted of soccer. I would stay out in the cold norwegian winter and work on my left foot passing for hours every day. When I went to bed I would think if I had really done what ought to be done that day for me to make it as a professional when I grew up.

I was good, but never brilliant. And I was definetly more of a trained-talent than a natural one. When I was 16 I graduated from "midschool" and went to a soccerschool in the neighbour town. School started in august, I was moved up from the kids team to the junior team in Randaberg as the second one in my year. In aproximently November that year (2008) I realized I would never make it. I did not have the progress I had wished for. Every mistake I made at training made my day sour as I would think about that mistake the entire day.

I had a bad break with soccer and basicly couldnt look at a soccer field for a year or so without getting sick in my stomach. Anyways November 2008 I had my uncle lend me his credit card and made my first deposit of 75$ on fulltilt.

I remember my first meeting with poker, probably a couple of years earlier, was when my 1 year older soccerteam friends wanted to start playing weekend nights. I was petrified my father would find out and convinced them playing without money. Had some experience before I began playing at fulltilt from some freerolls and 0,10$-,5$ sngs on Ipoker.

When I started off on fulltilt I was hooked. I remember making a big-ass excel spreadsheet where I noted my bankroll every day and graded my own play. My goal in poker was to make 1500(or was it 1K?)$ before I turned 18 about 4 months later. I must have ran really good because I made it in 1 month playing something close to Ferguson rules.

I remember I started off with the matrix games when I first built my roll. They seemed soft, and was fun because I had 4 tables running and there was scoring system where I could aim for personal best every time. Also since the prizepool was devided in 5 I rarely lost all my money in a sng. I was also a confirmed supernit.

I cant remember much about my game back then, but im sure I was pretty horribel. However I had a rockedy disiplin and I had a part job at a gym so my bankroll never suffered from withdrawals.

Poker is really tabu in Norway. Both my parents is as previously mentioned cops and it was frightening to them that I played in the start. My way to tackle it I recommend to every young poker player. I just explained everything, never hid anything. It took a while to turn em around and we sure had some big fights about it, but this summer we had a break through.

My favourite place on earth is a christian familiy summercamp where my familiy has been every year since I was born. I wouldnt change that week for 3 months around the world, touch wood. This summer I was arrived a little later because I had been on a trip with my friends to a Greek island called Ios. On the way out my father told me the other parents was asking what I was doing with my year after I graduated "highschool", he said I might get some questions about poker. Him telling a couple of parents about my hobby and among them priests meant he finally 100% accepted it and supported me, which meant everything.

I used to be absolutly brilliant at school, no point being modest about it cause I was fucking awesome at it. I was a beast in midschool, but after I introduced poker in "highschool" I fell off little by little. I couldnt concentrate hard on both poker and school and I felt my focus was chopped. Was horribel to me because I hate doing things half way. Gratuated this june with 3 subjects missing for a diploma. Taking the last 3 subjects before this summer. I'm focusing 100% on poker til the summer then afterwoulds I kind of want to take thing as they come and hopefully start studying a bit.

best player in the world?

how much tax did you pay from your poker winnings so far?

hottest girl in poker (pic plz!)

where are you in 4 years/what are you doing?

how much money (if any...) will I make in 2011 in your opinion (be honest!)
    Never Complain. Never Explain.

Biggest Live $ Win
    live?
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Acesfull1026 View Post
    If you don't mind, I'd like to start this thread off with a few questions that aren't as pertinent to poker.
    Would be dissapointed if it was only poker questions in this thread.
    What was your favorite poker moment that you can recall?

Not The Sunday Million. I remember a couple of moments:

Last june I had a really bad downswing which I write about a little in these blog entries: http://www.badbeatspoker.net/forum/b...ume-young.html and http://www.badbeatspoker.net/forum/b...-variance.html.

Coming out of that I won the first big score I remember in a 50$ freezeout. It was not only the first big score I won for 8,2Kish, but that tourney outright changed my poker style. I remember playing the tournament over at a mates place and there was a spot in the midle of the tournament I remember so well.

This MuckDonald or something was opening everything, but he started to get re raised preflop a ton. I had done it twice in the last 6 hands (AA, and AK of course) when I picked up QTo.

We were the two chipleaders of the tourament with about 25 people left. He raised, I re raised, he thought for a little while and 4-bet my button 3-bet. My mate sitting at my side was like prrrrf that sucks.

I remember dragging the slider all the way and pressing the raise button. Just as I press the raise button my mate was like "WTF are you doing?!". I think I responded something in the line of: "idk." While having a heart beat of 350 a minute. He thought for a little while and folded. I won the tourmanet by what I felt was skill. Wins are allways sweeter when they come after a hard time, and when they feel deserved. This was the first when I felt both.

Im pretty sure this wasnt my first win at all. Think I won a 26$ and the 50$ superturbo before. But I felt like it was the first one I claimed.

Thang911 added me on skype afterwoulds as Im sure my very first contact.. He showed me there was actually professional poker players in the 26$ 45m I played, I had no ideas.

The Sunday Million? Coming out on top of this prop bet? your first tourney win? What stands out the most to you and why?

Coming out of this prop-bet is definetly right up there with anything I've experienced in poker. Getting huge scores in sunday donkaments dont give me anything other than money. Everyone can do that. And allthough winning a chunk of money is nice, its better to experience something you can be proud about. This prop-bet is my proudest moment in my poker carreer by a million miles.

I know you have had trouble finding motivation to play, which i believe brought about the prop bet, and I remember your thread about life and poker.

The prop bet was my way to punish myself after I squandered a 1,5 million stack in the sunday million in two pots

First pot was unlucky because my opponent 5 outered a call on the river when I 3-barreled bluffed a dry board. Q5 on a AQxx5 board.

Second one I 5-bet shoved 800K chips with A4 into aces in a bad spot. ->
    This can not be done deep in big tournaments. Not because I 5-bet A4, but because it was a bad spot for it. Therefore I needed punishment.

After having time to dwell on it, what are you ambitions/goals moving forward from here?

My lifegoal is and have been for years: to have as much fun as possibly while being a positive force to people around me. Badass I know.

I wanna do well in live tournaments. I have not managed to have fun while playing live yet, and its something I want to prepare, adjust and work for.

Planning to not playing much til New Year now, having a ton of fun hanging with friends. Maaaybe going to Barcelona mid next week to play the FTP Barcelona Main Event. Plan to travel a lot in the start of the New Year and hopefully find some norwegian liveregs to travel to tourneys with.

If you are planning to put the brakes on for a while, I would be happy to volunteer as a student of yours to represent you at the tables

And you would be the kind of student I'd be looking for. I think I will do some coaching eventually, but I really dont wanna do it in near future.

What made you decide to go with Simba as your avatar?

Im a child at heart. I like disney movies. I think Lion King is awesome, get Donald Duck sent in mail every week, and Simba look badass in that picture. Have a Daniel Negreanu stare of reading someones soul.

Do you think this has been the key to your success?

Yes. I owe Simba everything.

What made you get started playing poker in the first place?

Adress that question in my life story I just wrote up.

What would you say was the most vital tool in progressing your game and taking it to the next level? (books, training sites, any coaches, forums, or has it always been natural?)

I could write for hours about this subject. I think the most effenctive way to improve is directly related to what level you are at.

Basicly my general understanding of the most basic levels of how you progress in poker is this:

1.You learn the rules - You are now a loosing small stakes player.
    2. You know the very basic TAG strategy - You can now beat small stakes comfortably.
    3. You learn basic strategy well and start to understand ranges instead of putting people on hands - You can now beat mid stakes.
    4. You learn to shift gears between strategies and you now work soely with ranges in hands - You can now crush mid limits.
    5. You breakopen your rules and see how you can rape a basic strategy to pieces by dancing when you play instead of following the rules. You get more creative and understand that the basic strategies of poker has major gaps where you can exploit. You read hands well and you now have a very small "grey area". - You can now beat everything.

At every level I have to say I think discussing with other poker players is the number 1. way to improve your game. But here is also a couple of more tips:
    1. A book does the job.
    2-3. A book doesnt get the job done, to improve you need to start watching good people play to get your rules broken up and replaced by new thought processes. Playing and practicing is important.
    4. You know all the basic strategies now and tournament videos have no more to offer. Discuss with friends, watch cash game videos to improve your postflop skills and practice at the tables. Think about hands.
    5. Cash game videos from people who crush the game. Talking to friends, and preferably people who are better than you.

These are guidelines to; I dont know, a more effective way to improve your game(?). Of course its everyones own choice how they want to improve.

If you weren't playing poker, what would be your ideal occupation?

Stand-up comedian. And its not even a close spot. Making people laugh for a profession, and still getting to the hot chicks home. Cmon.

Sucks I dont have a sence of humour.

Congrats again on the prop bet Vegard, and thanks for The Well. These questions are just to get things started and get some background on ya. Ill notify the WSOP to keep an eye out for you in 2 years
    My pleasure sir.

Biggest Live $ Win
    live?
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AAron the B View Post
    best player in the world?

Online mtts: I have had biggest problems with:

Sizzlinbettas, Sonelin, Smokrokflock.

Some other mtt beasts:

Gettin Daize (Hate this a-hole becasue he is a a-hole), Shaundeeb

Cash games player I like the best:

Phil Galfond

Best overrall:

Phil Hellmuth and Phil Ivey

how much tax did you pay from your poker winnings so far?

When we are settled I'd guess something around 100 000- 140 000$.

hottest girl in poker (pic plz!)

Liv Boeree.

She seems like a geniune girl. Fucking smart, and she got edge.

Pics someone who is better with computers can do yea?

where are you in 4 years/what are you doing?

Ask myself the question every day.

I dont know.

Could see myself part time studying while playing poker. But literally could be doing anything. Fucking my brains out I hope.

how much money (if any...) will I make in 2011 in your opinion (be honest!)

You are so lazy mate.

I'm sure you got one of the best poker minds in the game, but that wont take you anywhere if you dont start working hard. In the start of the year I remember I said I thought you would be playing nosebleeds within a couple of years. You could, but I dont think its very likely unless you start working hard again.

Guessing how much you would make next year by average is extremly difficult. I dont know what games you plan to play. If you keep shotting high stakes cash games you might eventually stick and make 500K++ easily next year, or you could make 0. Guessamates would be 250K maybe.
    Beat it to pieces mate
    Last edited by Vestvik7; 11-27-2010 at 07:49 AM.

[x] like it

Okay, while no new questions are coming right now I'll go ahead and continue asking :P

Is your world view currently almost entirely selfish? (when i am realistic, mine probably is at the moment but I expect that will change when I reached my personal goals). Could you imagine spending your entire life helping ppl in Africa or something similar?

You are God for one day, what would you change?

Given that you are smart, logical, and understand people well, you should be able to achieve anything you want in life; what would you consider the most awesome possible thing (for you) that you could achieve? are you happy living a life of upper class or do you want to do anything that you would personally consider 'significant'?

Biggest Live $ Win
    live?
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Blog Entries
    What would you say was the most vital tool in progressing your game and taking it to the next level? (books, training sites, any coaches, forums, or has it always been natural?)
    Also a thing I think is so wierd.

Every hand that I see get posted from small-mid stakes players is this type:

"AK in double duece
    River spot with QQ in 42K
    JJ prespot in daily dollar
    TT facing 3-bet 30 bbs deep in 23,5K.""

Fine, you should know how to play these hands. But honestly you cant make much wrong with AK preflop deep in double duece. Let alone no monster. People never have anything.

How come no one ask if they should c-bet AJo after 2,5xing the button and bb flatt on a Q52 board vs a laggy fish postante?

I bet you guys do it 95%, and it should be 0%.

And still no one ask these questions which are the important ones. Preflop equity all in is a % fraction of your stack, preflop equity when they fold is abosolute, postflop equity you can dance with strangers and get your stack up high and river equity is 100% of the actions given hands.

Biggest Live $ Win
    live?
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AAron the B View Post
    Okay, while no new questions are coming right now I'll go ahead and continue asking :P

Excellent questions mate.

Is your world view currently almost entirely selfish? (when i am realistic, mine probably is at the moment but I expect that will change when I reached my personal goals). Could you imagine spending your entire life helping ppl in Africa or something similar?

Yes, right now I am living my life for myself. And I do not feel too bad about it to be honest. I feel like I am preparing the rest of my life this year and that I can care more about others later.

Tho I do have two foster children I provide school and such for in India and Kenya. I could definetly see myself living one year in africa doing charity work, but not too much longer and definetly not my entire life. I get too homesick.

The points about my world view right now is probably one of the most important factors that make sure I can not do this for ever. Me and Stinky Budz had a good conversation about this a while back and we agreed poker simply isnt fullfilling enough.

You are God for one day, what would you change?

* My eye-brows would be smaller.
    * I would make myself unread Harry Potter.
    * Freddie Mercury would have used a condom.
    * I would have insane biceps.
    * No world hunger and no wars
    * Norway would have 9 month summer, and 3 month winter not the other way around.
    * The King Eric Cantona would still be playing for Manchester United
    * Badbeatspoker.net would be renamed to a non terribel forum name.
    * Friends would still be Friends.
    * I'd go back in time and prevent Miley Cirus.

On a total serious note, I'm a christian and I would sit pale so I did not fuck up anything.

Given that you are smart, logical, and understand people well, you should be able to achieve anything you want in life; what would you consider the most awesome possible thing (for you) that you could achieve? are you happy living a life of upper class or do you want to do anything that you would personally consider 'significant'?

You ask me this on a stage of my life where I'm so confused about everything that I have aboslute no idea how to comprehend the question. I used to have ideas and hopes for what to do, but my future right now is super blurry for me.

I can say that much that I will not play poker for many years. Like people like Eastgate, Raptor etc I just dont feel poker is fullfilling enough for me.

I think I crave a normal life when Im older. I want a standard family(hot ass momma tho), standard problems and a normal job (but awesome of course).

A job where I work with people is a must I think.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast