• 1 Post By Chipless Wonder
  • 1 Post By DevilFish73
  • 1 Post By Motwgtsyw
  • 1 Post By New Leader

Thread: Bad Beats Poker forum - Second Life

New Leader is offline Administrator

Lightbulb Bad Beats Poker forum - Second Life

Hi there,

I'm starting this thread to share opinions about the future of the BBP forum.

First of all, as a new Admin I want to introduce myself.
    My name is Alex. I'm 35. I'm from Russia so English is not my native language. But I hope you'll understand me and I'll improve my knowledge with your help. I can give some Russian language lessons here if you want
    I'm PhD in Technical Sciences and have been working as an Engineer for about 10 years.
    About 4 years ago I decided to change my life rhythm and as I liked computers from my childhood (ZX Spectrum, first IBM PCs...) - my decision was to spend more time online. So now I'm a bit webmaster, web designer and have some knowledge in SEO.
    Speaking about my poker experience. Well there was a period (2009/2010) when I played poker every day and reached the levels NL50-NL100 6-max, was also good at MTTs. Poker is a part of my life today as we have several poker-related websites which make some profit from affiliates. And I play online from time to time.
    I remember I visited BBP in its prime years and was impressed by the warm atmosphere and wise, professional discussions. So when my partner said that this place is for sale and moreover there are plans to shut it down - it was my decision to save it.

Yes we all know that it is a hard time for online poker now especially in the USA but I'm sure things will change so let's do our best to develop our community, attract more interesting members...
    From my side I promise that all moderators will stay with their current permissions.
    I need some time to look around here and will start with some SEO improvements. There will be no re-design cause the current color scheme seems really attractive to me.

At first we have to revive the discussions here:
    1. May be there is a sense to talk more about the current situation with online poker in the USA (about US-friendly poker rooms).
    2. We can also discuss live poker events.
    3. I think the main idea in order to raise the BBP popularity could be the professional poker hands analysis (as it follows from the name of the Bad Beats forum).

I'm always open for your ideas and criticism so please free to contact me any time.

Chipless Wonder is offline Honorary Member
    12/08 $75 x 45 SNG challenge winner
    1/09 BBP +$200 private game winner
    9/11 online cash game challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Welcome aboard Alex, and thanks for agreeing to take over the site. In it's prime, this community was my favorite online destination. I would love nothing more than to see it return to that form again one day in the future. I will be happy to support your efforts in any way I can.
    Motwgtsyw likes this.
    Carbon Poker: ChiplessWonder

My real job: Nuclear thickness gauge sales & service

"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve." - Kid Rock

DevilFish73 is offline Super Moderator
    12/08 $75 x 45 SNG challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    $10,000
    Biggest Online $ Win
    $9,433.13
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Welcome aboard Alex. Glad to see some new energy at BBP. Good luck friend.
    Motwgtsyw likes this.

Motwgtsyw is offline Super Moderator

Biggest Live $ Win
    £200
    Biggest Online $ Win
    $4300
    Blog Entries
    Welcome mate,

Delighted that the site has been saved and would be great if it could be returned to past glories. Willing to help as much as i can (just become a dad so a bit busy) and also looking forward to some new energy and vision.

As you mentioned, the warm atmosphere on bbp was what made it special, Scott did a great job in making sure there was no abuse and people of all poker levels were made to feel welcome and part of a great community.

Looking forward to a new era for BBP and would like to wish you all the best Alex
    DevilFish73 likes this.

Hi guys! How was your weekend?

I have one question for you. Browsing the old posts with numerous poker hand histories I see that the hands were published just in plain text.
    Was there any hand converter here? I know how to use some external converters so that they will work on the forum and the published hands will look more readable.
    May be there is a sense to do it?

Dixienormas2 is offline Dolphin

Biggest Live $ Win
    2800ish
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Hello Alex! Great to hear there is a push to revive the room again. I checked the forum on a daily basis up until I thought she was closing. I just happened to click the link this morning out of habit and to my surprise it is still here!!! Might be fairly slow going as I am sure everyone else was as like minded as I was. Maybe you could send out an email blast to all current members letting them know the forum is still alive and well. Maybe that will prompt members to return to see what is new!

I also agree with the idea of hand converters. Is it possible to integrate something into the forum code to allow this to be done automatically? All the best Alex! You have a member here that isn't going ANYWHERE! ;-)
    A man with money is no match against a man on a mission. - Doyle Brunson

Nice to meet you, Shane!

Yes - email blast is an excellent idea. I just want to spend some more time thinking about the ideas of how we can attract old and new members. And poker hand analysis is one of such ideas. So I'll start working on the hand converter for our forum.
    dyehard likes this.

OK after testing several converters I propose to try this one: http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/import.php

In order to insert the history into your posts you'll need to do 2 simple steps:

1. Paste your hand into the text field on the page: http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/import.php, choose the optional features if needed and click "Continue" button.
    2. In the opened page you have to choose and copy to clipboard the converted hand under the title: "View BB Version (for forums accepting BB Code)" and paste it into your post.
    That's it.

Will try to make the separate page with this converter on our site so that the members will not need to leave the forum.

Please tell me your thoughts about it.

I've tested this converter on several rooms and it worked great. Here is an example of some hand at Intertops:

Hand Information
    , 0.04 BB (6 handed).
    Hand History converter courtesy of pokerhandreplays.com

Table Information
    Seat: 1 crabscreek ($4)
    Seat: 2 lao_arturo ($5.33)
    Seat: 3 yipppeeee ($3.98)
    Seat: 8 mastershake4 ($3.94) Dealer
    Seat: 9 Hero ($1.76) Small Blind
    Seat: 10 ren8223 ($1.8) Big Blind
    Dealt to Hero

Preflop (Pot:0.06)