Ivan_Drago45 is offline Dolphin

Biggest Online $ Win
    $3250
    Biggest Online # Win

How to proceed with bottom set here

.25/.50 cash game on bodog

UTG player limps
    I am UTG+1 with and limp
    two more players behind me limp, the small blind calls and the big blind checks

pot is $3 and we are 6-handed to the flop of

the small blind bets $2, two players fold to me and I raise to $6. Everybody else folds and the small blind calls.

pot is $15

turn brings [9d] and the small blind bets $15, I have $27 left and he has me covered. What do you do here? Would you have played this any differently up to this point?
    Last edited by Ivan_Drago45; 12-18-2008 at 08:06 PM.

chronicATM is offline Shark

I shove here because I doubt he'd lead again w/ TJ. I think you did fine on the flop...I might have made it a little bit more but I think the 3x raise is okay.

otbdave is offline Shark

Biggest Live $ Win
    $272,405 (WSOP#51 - 3rd)
    Biggest Online $ Win
    $2,410 ($26KO - 1st)
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries
    You played this correctly. You want to get the pot as big as possible as fast as possible here.

Go ahead and push here, your less that minraise will obligate him to call with any pair or any draw. You don't want to give him a river card with chips behind because he could still check/fold a draw if he misses.

-----Added 18 Dec 2008 at 07:17:23-----

Quote Originally Posted by chronicATM View Post
    I shove here because I doubt he'd lead again w/ TJ. I think you did fine on the flop...I might have made it a little bit more but I think the 3x raise is okay.
    Yeah just about nobody pots out here with the nuts. Even if he does, folding is pretty much out of the question here. Still got what... 11 outs if he already has a straight?
    Last edited by otbdave; 12-18-2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Auto-merged double posts
    "You have it in your power to turn a bad-beat around simply by realizing this simple truth: The more bad beats you encounter, the luckier you are. It's a sign that you are playing against opponents who continually take the worst of it, and if you can't beat someone who always takes the worst of it, you can't beat anyone"

Get me at the tables...
    Full Tilt: otbdave
    Poker Stars: otbdave
    Cake: otbdave

Blog
    LinkedIN

Ivan_Drago45 is offline Dolphin

Biggest Online $ Win
    $3250
    Biggest Online # Win
    Well I shoved figuring he had something like two pair or high pair with a good kicker.....of course he had 10 J off for the straight.

I just wanted to hear some opinions on how to go about this since bottom set has been killing me lately in cash games.

otbdave is offline Shark

Biggest Live $ Win
    $272,405 (WSOP#51 - 3rd)
    Biggest Online $ Win
    $2,410 ($26KO - 1st)
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries
    I am almost never folding sets in cash games and I suggest you do not either.

Just keep hitting the pot when you have the best hand, which is about 95% of the time when you have a set.

Unless of course it is like a board.
    "You have it in your power to turn a bad-beat around simply by realizing this simple truth: The more bad beats you encounter, the luckier you are. It's a sign that you are playing against opponents who continually take the worst of it, and if you can't beat someone who always takes the worst of it, you can't beat anyone"

Get me at the tables...
    Full Tilt: otbdave
    Poker Stars: otbdave
    Cake: otbdave

Blog
    LinkedIN

ThePenguin22 is offline Dolphin

Biggest Online $ Win
    $20K+ career profit
    Biggest Online # Win
    Retired cash game player :(
    Blog Entries
    I got to post a little late and I actually thought with that bet he DID have the straight. Some players just play this way, I dont know why as any good player will let you make another bet then check raise you or put it in on the river. That being said the doubt in my mind and the fact that you still have many outs I would always push here. As for playing it different before this point NO you played it well.
    KAB000M @ PKR