Biggest Live $ Win
    I don't play for money
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Online Poker is rigged
    Biggest Live # Win
    I think Eric Mason had 30 people
    Blog Entries

Poker Tracker and Poker Ace HUD

Recently I have spoken with a few local friends who play online constantly but can never seem to beat the lower limit cash games.

When I asked them for their states ie VP$IP PR$ etc., they had no idea what I was talking about.

Everyone...if you are not using these tools when you play online...you cannot properly analyze your play. Online play is worlds different than live play in the cash arena.

These tools allow you to plug the holes in your game that you normally would not catch. They allow you to make "reads" on people so you can play each hand with a profitable EV.

I play cash online everyday for three to sometimes eight hours (not at once)...and I cannot overstate enough how important it is to utilize these tools.

If you need help with them once you purchase them...give me shout and I will make time to help you get setup.

Happy Holidays.

The reason they aren't beating the lower limits is because their foundations are wrong. I have played in the low limits without using HUD (slow PC) and beat them for 3bb/100.

Edit to add: I am also led to understand that many people use HUD for table selection. Obviously, you would not want to sit at a table full of 33/17s.
    Last edited by dizzystar; 12-22-2007 at 07:06 PM.
    "Luck lasts a lifetime if you die young.

Chipless Wonder is offline Honorary Member
    12/08 $75 x 45 SNG challenge winner
    1/09 BBP +$200 private game winner
    9/11 online cash game challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    I would love to see a few screen shots of what your online 'tables' look like with these overlays in place.
    Carbon Poker: ChiplessWonder

My real job: Nuclear thickness gauge sales & service

"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve." - Kid Rock

hitman247x is offline Banned

Biggest Live $ Win
    I don't play for money
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Online Poker is rigged
    Biggest Live # Win
    Blog Entries

Oh.

Well nevermind then.

Everyone....your foundations are wrong.

Good luck at the tables.

Chipless Wonder is offline Honorary Member
    12/08 $75 x 45 SNG challenge winner
    1/09 BBP +$200 private game winner
    9/11 online cash game challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Carbon Poker: ChiplessWonder

My real job: Nuclear thickness gauge sales & service

"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve." - Kid Rock

No, I am not saying that other programs are not useful. I was hoping that you would be able to compile a full chart with links to the various softwares.

I use pokertracker, but I am going to switch over to pokermanager. Both of these programs track your and your opponent's play. It tells you how much you made on your hands, your aggression factors, how often you play (by the book play is about 15% VPIP for a full ring game, but this is shown as too tight). I am switching to pokermanager because it was created in part by professional poker players, and has many many more stats and other useful information.

For those who like to play tourneys and sit and goes (including heads up), wrap your mind around tourneymanager. This works just like pokertracker and pokermanager. It is designed by the pokermanager creator. Unlike pokertracker, importing your hand histories is as simple as pressing "F5."

I think that you could also do good to check out pokerEV which has helped my game a ton. The program is amazing and is currently available in free beta. It will show you your equity calculations for your various hands. If you are betting too often, too little, or just right. It also tells you if you are running bad or playing bad. A brutally honest software created by an excellent poker player.

There are tons of other programs available if you google and use some creativity in your searches. I know that there is some softwares that are like pokeraceHUD, but far better, as they work in combination with many of the other programs that I did not list (because I don't know about all of them, and I won't suggest them.).

There are tons of foundational problems in many player's games, and all the software in the world can't help you. The biggest thing you can do to help your game is:

1- read
    2- do math
    3- learn more math
    4- learn the branch of math called game theory
    5- play

This game takes tons of studying. For every hour you play, you should study two. A player with a solid foundation will crush a player with programs. Many of these programs are listed at pokerstars and fulltilt, and many of these programs (HUD and PokerTracker especially, since they are the establishment) have tens of thousands of copies sold, yet, there aren't but a few hundred players who can consistantly beat the game.

Yeah, we can bounce stats all day, and look down our noses at people who don't know their stats, but I am sure that Jennifer Harmon and Phil Ivey became the best without the use of on-line poker and all it's software.

Biggest Live $ Win
    I don't play for money
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Online Poker is rigged
    Biggest Live # Win
    Blog Entries

Look

I never said anything about posting links or anything of the sort.

I simply said I would help set it up.

I also posted this in the CASH GAMES section....not the tourney section.

I never once mentioned looking down my nose at anyone who doesn't know their stats.

Are you seriously lecturing me on the time and dedication that is takes to be a good player?

My post was simply to help others get setup....leave it at that.

Unreal.

charlton49 is offline Dolphin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman247x View Post

I also posted this in the CASH GAMES section....not the tourney section.

I never once mentioned looking down my nose at anyone who doesn't know their stats.

Are you seriously lecturing me on the time and dedication that is takes to be a good player?

Unreal.

Hmm, pciking sides, but I think dizzy's post was just the other half of the equation. From how it reads, it seems he was suggesting that stats alone will not give you the key to consistent winning. I don't think he was intentionally saying that what you posted was wrong, just that there's a little bit more to it. Personally, I've met more than a handful of players that have said, "do xyz and you'll start winning," when you needed both xyz AND abc to find success. It seems as if dizzy was just mentioning the other half of the story.

I didn't mean to insult you. Surely, the last thing I would want to do is sling poo right before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman247x View Post

Okay. I guess I went over-board here.

also posted this in the CASH GAMES section....not the tourney section.
    Were you under the impression that I am a tourney player? I play all sorts of games but seldom play a tourney except in a heads up sng or in a freeroll. Only one of the programs I linked deals strictly tournaments and a few of these don't deal with tournaments at all.

Okay, I put words in your mouth. I took issue with the following:

"When I asked them for their states ie VP$IP PR$ etc., they had no idea what I was talking about."

This is natural with many players. You also know that many of these numbers mean absolutely nothing. You could have all the "right" stats and still be bleeding more money than if you made up your own strategy.

"Everyone...if you are not using these tools when you play online...you cannot properly analyze your play. Online play is worlds different than live play in the cash arena."

I started playing professionally two years ago, to various degrees of success, ranging from busted, sleeping on people's couches to playing 20/40 Limit and $500 minimum buy-in No Limit. I see this phrase thrown around all the time, and I can assure you that this assessment is not true. I have not had problems moving to on line. When I started, I had no idea what my stats were. When I started using these tools, my stats naturally lined up to what a good player should have.

This also brings up another point. Many players will tell you that you need to play at least 30k hands to become good at small stakes. By studying, doing math, and studying more, I moved from playing 2/4 live to 9/18 live in less than 4 months of full time play. Live, you will have about 30 hands dealt an hour.

No, but when you inform others about tools that you use, and then tell them that the reason they are having problems is because they aren't using these tools you are ignoring two important facts.

The first is that these tools are not going to do much to improve anyone. A new player can look at his or her own hand histories all day. If they do not know what they are looking for, they will never be able to fix the leaks. It is only when you get to a certain level that you can begin to make these decisions effectively.

The second is that the average player does not have the time or interest it takes to become an excellent player. If the average person buys a book and gives it a skim-through then they are not retaining the important information. If they aren't thinking long and hard to understand the concepts put forth, they aren't learning. I have seen poker change a ton in the past 2 1/2 years since I started playing. I notice that the average person plays tight, screams pot-odds, but doesn't understand what pot-odds means, and if they do, they don't understand that hand selection and pot-odds only skims the surface of the poker knowledge.

Many players play for recreation, and have no care of the games nuances. Many other's are too stubborn to care either way. If they come to me for help, then I will help, but it is rare that I will ever try to help anyone. I have a limit on the knowledge I give out.

Asking about a VPIP is not that important to me. The real question that matters is: "How many times did you deposit this year?"

My post was pretty much the same, don't you think?

Unreal.
    I guess I over-reacted a bit. Merry Christmas, Yule, or whatever you are celebrating.

Biggest Live $ Win
    I don't play for money
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Online Poker is rigged
    Biggest Live # Win
    Blog Entries

Pro

What is your name?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast