Bovada

Thread: why I hate 88

why I hate 88

I like to call 88 Dave's Demise.

When I first started playing poker, I ran into some strange variance. I know, "what else is new, newbie?" Two years ago.....

I flopped four full houses with 88 in two days, and lost every. single. time.

In each of the following I had 88, obv.

Day one:

8KK7J

Villain holds KJ

8TT3T

Villain holds KK

Day 2:

This was very painful, because there was two massively retarded maniacs in this hand, capping every single street. Why? They had T2offsoooooot!

Since you can't beat a name hand, you most certainly would not expect to win against two players holding it.

8TT62

Villain 1: T2o
    Villain 2: T2o

And this one killed me for the day, because I re-raised like 10 times and proudly announced my hand. The only reason my opponent stopped was because there was a possible Straight Flush on the board.

8JJQA

Villain holds QJ.

After one year, I had yet to win a single pot with 88. I admit that I had a huge tell with the hand. I would start shaking and bead of sweat would start on my forehead.

After all that time, I was playing in a No Limit game with a bunch of props and tight players.

There was one or two limpers and I peaked down to see my favorite hand. I thought about raising them for kicks because I may as well loose the max since I always loose a huge pot with these puppies. I decided to limp.

Flop: 884 with two hearts on the board.

The field checks to me. Since the pot was so small, I checked behind, because I doubted that anyone was going to chase a flush draw in such a small pot. I was just hoping someone flopped a full house. I could finally win that big pot!

Turn brought a Q.

Sweet! A face card! Someone should bet this, right?

The field checks to me, and I check again.

The last card brought the flush. For mercy! Someone has to have the flush!

The field checks to me, and I bet the pot, which could not be more than 8 dollars. With the California rake, it was probably 3 dollars, but I digress.

Everyone folds to the prop. He calls with a made flush, thinking that there was not chance he was going to get paid if he bet or raised. Ugh! He would have got action! All the action he wanted!

Still to this day, I hate 88. In fact, when I see someone raise in a blind steal and show them down after flopping a set, I shake my head in disgust, silently berating him for over-playing such a terrible hand.

charlton49 is offline Dolphin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzystar View Post
    Flop: 884 with two hearts on the board.

The field checks to me. Since the pot was so small, I checked behind, because I doubted that anyone was going to chase a flush draw in such a small pot. I was just hoping someone flopped a full house. I could finally win that big pot!

Turn brought a Q.

Sweet! A face card! Someone should bet this, right?

The field checks to me, and I check again.

The last card brought the flush. For mercy! Someone has to have the flush!

The field checks to me, and I bet the pot, which could not be more than 8 dollars. With the California rake, it was probably 3 dollars, but I digress.

Everyone folds to the prop. He calls with a made flush, thinking that there was not chance he was going to get paid if he bet or raised. Ugh! He would have got action! All the action he wanted!

Still to this day, I hate 88. In fact, when I see someone raise in a blind steal and show them down after flopping a set, I shake my head in disgust, silently berating him for over-playing such a terrible hand.

Not to say that this wasn't another frustrating snowman hand, but I thought you were gonna say you got run down by bigger quads. Which is a pretty horrible feeling and could be the icing on your cake there.

If I got ran down by bigger Quads, I would have won 10k in a bad-beat jackpot. I would steal the cards and frame them, forever calling snowmen my favorite hand.

Chipless Wonder is offline Honorary Member
    12/08 $75 x 45 SNG challenge winner
    1/09 BBP +$200 private game winner
    9/11 online cash game challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    I understand your frustration. I feel the same way about pocket kings.
    Carbon Poker: ChiplessWonder

My real job: Nuclear thickness gauge sales & service

"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve." - Kid Rock

Chipless Wonder is offline Honorary Member
    12/08 $75 x 45 SNG challenge winner
    1/09 BBP +$200 private game winner
    9/11 online cash game challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    I understand your frustration with pocket eights. I feel the same way about pocket kings.
    Carbon Poker: ChiplessWonder

My real job: Nuclear thickness gauge sales & service

"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve." - Kid Rock