Thread: AQ in SB (Bubble Play Tourney)

D-Nut is offline Shark

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries

AQ in SB (Bubble Play Tourney)

Now this one is more of a tournament theory question than an actual hand play question.....

Here is the hand first:

Blinds 250-500-50

(Now let me preface by saying that the tourney is the 50/50 on FTP, and my tables have been stacked with very good players and even some big names)

I am in the SB with roughly 12500 (average chip stack)
    Villian has roughly 15K

The hand folds to the cutoff who raises to 1250. Folds to me in the SB, and I look at

I 3-bet to 3250....back to the cutoff who pauses and raises me all-in. I call.....villian shows 4-4. I flop air....turn a queen of spades...he rivers his one outer, and I'm on the rail.

Now....here is where my question lies. When I 3-bet, I subconsciously left enough fold equity for my villian to shove all-in and think he could make me fold.....what ultimately happened is that I created a race situation, that may not have been created if I had simply shoved all-in.

Now....my issue with bubble and mid stage tourney play is that I used to show down NO hands....I'd fold to pressure and widdle away and cash just beyond the bubble......NOW, fast forward to now....I'm showing down TOO MANY hands....and as we all know, you showdown too many, math dictates that you're gonna lose your fair share.....so I am thinking it is important to pick up non contested pots, and thats not what I'm doing (This hand as an example)

So.....did I make a mistake by 3 betting short here?
    Last edited by D-Nut; 02-21-2009 at 01:43 PM.
    "Most of the money you'll win at poker comes not from the brilliance of your own play, but from the ineptitude of your opponents."

- Lou Krieger

See me dance in this thread:

http://www.badbeatspoker.net/forum/n...-near-you.html

Ivan_Drago45 is offline Dolphin

Biggest Online $ Win
    $3250
    Biggest Online # Win
    How much did the other guy have at the start of the hand?

D-Nut is offline Shark

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries
    Sorry about that....

Villian had me covered by 3000
    "Most of the money you'll win at poker comes not from the brilliance of your own play, but from the ineptitude of your opponents."

- Lou Krieger

DefyOddz is offline Dolphin

Biggest Online $ Win
    16k X's 2 , ongame big deal 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Nut View Post
    Now this one is more of a tournament theory question than an actual hand play question.....

Here is the hand first:

Blinds 250-500-50

(Now let me preface by saying that the tourney is the 50/50 on FTP, and my tables have been stacked with very good players and even some big names)

I am in the SB with roughly 12500 (average chip stack)
    Villian has roughly 15K

The hand folds to the cutoff who raises to 1250. Folds to me in the SB, and I look at

I 3-bet to 3250....back to the cutoff who pauses and raises me all-in. I call.....villian shows 4-4. I flop air....turn a queen of spades...he rivers his one outer, and I'm on the rail.

Now....here is where my question lies. When I 3-bet, I subconsciously left enough fold equity for my villian to shove all-in and think he could make me fold.....what ultimately happened is that I created a race situation, that may not have been created if I had simply shoved all-in.

Now....my issue with bubble and mid stage tourney play is that I used to show down NO hands....I'd fold to pressure and widdle away and cash just beyond the bubble......NOW, fast forward to now....I'm showing down TOO MANY hands....and as we all know, you showdown too many, math dictates that you're gonna lose your fair share.....so I am thinking it is important to pick up non contested pots, and thats not what I'm doing (This hand as an example)

So.....did I make a mistake by 3 betting short here?
    shove pre, prolly same result though, flatting being the worst of the 3 options

edit- your 3 bet could have been larger % of your stack taking away his FE and turning your hand into a stop-n-go
    Last edited by DefyOddz; 02-21-2009 at 01:55 PM.

cardsfan04 is offline Shark

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries
    There is nothing wrong with your 3bet size. 3bets should almost always be 2.5-4x the original raise and this falls comfortably in that range.

What part of that range depends on what your 3bet is trying to accomplish. Are you trying to take it down PF? If so, why? Are you trying to give the illusion of FE (which I somewhat like here)?

There are several scenarios that you will run into here:

1. He has a monster and your bet size doesn't matter.

2. He's aggro and creative, very capable of 4betting light. If this is the case, I love your bet size.

3. He's spewy and defends chips put in the pot. If this is the case, I like a bigger raise (and possibly a jam, depending on just how spewy he is). If he will call w/ hands like KQ/AT, I love a jam for value. If he will see a flop w/ a small raise, I like a raise to 4K, to set up a go n go.

Against spewy players who have to protect chips in the pot (but not so bad to call an allin light; I'm talking the player who raise/calls JT here, but folds to a jam), I try to set up a pot size bet on the flop, so I increase value and avoid a showdown.

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    The 3 bet is fine but since you are oop from the SB i usually like to take this down pre i would raise a lil more too make it look like you have no FE and discourage him from 4betting all in

dyehard is offline Super Moderator
    6/09 $5 x 45 SNG challenge winner
    9/09 45 SNG team challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    9,300 ISPC
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries
    I am really surprised that his hand was as weak as it was. Whenever I see a 3 bet, I thinking AA, KK, AK. Whenever I see a 4 bet, I'm running for the hills. I would have 3 bet to about $4k and folded to his all in 4 bet.
    Fight my Brute!!!!!
    http://chewbacca-nuts.mybrute.com

Follow me at www.twitter.com/dyehard5

Biggest Scores
    $550 NL ISPC Live Event (2010) - $9,300
    $1,500 NL ISPC Live Event (2009) - $6,000
    $35k DS 6 max - 3rd $4,263
    Midnight Madness - 1st $3,778
    $1,500 NL WSOP #39 - 239th $2832

ChewbaccaNuts - Carbon
    dyehard - Cake
    dyehard - Full Tilt
    DYEHARD - Ultimate Bet
    AveryDye - PokerStars

D-Nut is offline Shark

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca Nuts View Post
    I am really surprised that his hand was as weak as it was. Whenever I see a 3 bet, I thinking AA, KK, AK. Whenever I see a 4 bet, I'm running for the hills. I would have 3 bet to about $4k and folded to his all in 4 bet.
    Nah....the game has evolved so much over the last couple years that the middle parts of the MTTs are all about fold equity. Opening range in late position is so wide that it is only natural for 3bet range to open up, and so on and so forth......and it leads to a spew session where guys want to get it all in with hands like AQ and 44. Happens in every MTT, and if you arent willing to open your range up, you end up getting left blinded and anted away. I personally hate it.....but that's the way it is.

- Lou Krieger

dyehard is offline Super Moderator
    6/09 $5 x 45 SNG challenge winner
    9/09 45 SNG team challenge winner

Biggest Live $ Win
    9,300 ISPC
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Nut View Post
    Nah....the game has evolved so much over the last couple years that the middle parts of the MTTs are all about fold equity. Opening range in late position is so wide that it is only natural for 3bet range to open up, and so on and so forth......and it leads to a spew session where guys want to get it all in with hands like AQ and 44. Happens in every MTT, and if you arent willing to open your range up, you end up getting left blinded and anted away. I personally hate it.....but that's the way it is.
    Ok, I agree that 3 betting can come from a wider range of hands. That thought actually went through my head when I responded before. However, a 4 bet, in most cases has to be at least QQ or better doesn't it? Especially from a non short stack going all in.

I guess my big issue is what kind of hand did you put him on that was worse than yours? Was it really reasonable for him to 4 bet all his chips with AJ or worse? My only guess is that you put him on mid to low PP and was willing to be a slight underdog in a race. But, I think you're a better player than that. So I'm not really sure why you call there.
    Fight my Brute!!!!!
    http://chewbacca-nuts.mybrute.com

Follow me at www.twitter.com/dyehard5

Biggest Scores
    $550 NL ISPC Live Event (2010) - $9,300
    $1,500 NL ISPC Live Event (2009) - $6,000
    $35k DS 6 max - 3rd $4,263
    Midnight Madness - 1st $3,778
    $1,500 NL WSOP #39 - 239th $2832

ChewbaccaNuts - Carbon
    dyehard - Cake
    dyehard - Full Tilt
    DYEHARD - Ultimate Bet
    AveryDye - PokerStars

cardsfan04 is offline Shark

Biggest Live $ Win
    Biggest Online $ Win
    Biggest Live # Win
    Biggest Online # Win
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca Nuts View Post
    Ok, I agree that 3 betting can come from a wider range of hands. That thought actually went through my head when I responded before. However, a 4 bet, in most cases has to be at least QQ or better doesn't it? Especially from a non short stack going all in.

I guess my big issue is what kind of hand did you put him on that was worse than yours? Was it really reasonable for him to 4 bet all his chips with AJ or worse? My only guess is that you put him on mid to low PP and was willing to be a slight underdog in a race. But, I think you're a better player than that. So I'm not really sure why you call there.
    4bets aren't just QQ+, it depends on the situation. If I open, and a laggy (who knows I'm laggy) 3bets, I'm shipping hands like 78s a ton if I think I have FE.

If the way to counter looser open raises is to 3bet wider, the way to counter wider 3bets is to 4bet wider.